Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Pain in rib cage, breathing problem, heart pain. What could be reason?

Hi, I m nearly 17 and have been suffering with bad pains in the middle of my rib cage for quite some time now. it prevents me from breathing sometimes. My general GP said it was just growing cartilage but i don t think its just that, i also sometimes get really bad pains around my heart , i do smoke , but socially. Can you please give me an answer?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at HCM!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I am a bit worried about your pain in the rib cage.
Yes. Commonly anyone would first think of ribcage/ cartilage pain. Is it tender to touch?
Does a deep breath increase pain?
Are you breathless sometime? Is there any sweating, dizziness with pain?
Did you weight-lift/ exercise heavily?

There are many possibilities. You should at least get an EKG and an Xray done.( especially if the ribs are not tender/ painful on pressing on them).

Lungs and heart need a look if there is no local tenderness.

I hope you are fully satisfied with the guidance I gave.
Hope I have answered all your questions. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.

Thank you and Good luck! Keep me posted on your progress.

Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
Hi Amy,
Most probably your GP is right at times the growing pains are also intense so just have a good diet comprising of vitamins, proteins and calcium. If the pains are really bothering then you can have this Homoeopathic Medicine Calcarea Phos 6x 4 tablets twice a day for a week.
You can also consult a Homoeo Physician around you for the same...

Wish you a speedy recovery to health

Dr.Rajinder Singh
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor