Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Pain in hand, cannot open or extend finger. Diagnosed as carpel tunnel. What is it? What to do?

I am having extreme pain in my right hand just below my ring finger. I cannot open or extend my finger at all without extreme pain. I can close my hand with some pain but cannot straighten or open the one finger at all. I recently went to urgent care and the doctor suggested it was carpel tunnel. It has gotten more painful and much worse. What could it be and what should I do?
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  98
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello, the symptoms are rather suggesting as tenosynovitis of finger FDP tendon which may later lead to trigger finger. All you can do is take some ani inflammatory medication and avoid repititive activity causing pain. You can also go for hand ball physiotherapy later. If the problem persist you can take a local intraarticular steroid injection. Thank you
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
thanks for using health care magic
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a progressive disease in which there is irritation or compression of the median nerve that passes through this canal. Characteristic symptoms include numbness, pain and weakness of the hand affecting predominantly in the thumb, index finger, middle finger and or ring finger and not in the small finger. It results due to various reasons some of which include; repeated use of wrist, diabetes, trauma, athritis etc. Treatment options include resting the hand, steroid infiltration, and in extreme cases surgery.
It could also be possible that you have a dactylitis which is inflammation of a finger since you did mention it was only the ring finger involve. This could be of infectious or traumatic or of other origin.
What you should do is to meet your doctor for electrophysiology tests to rule or confirm the carpal tunnel syndrome and for other tests like x-ray, complete blood count etc.
Best regards and hope this helps you.
Dr Achuo
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor