Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Pain in gums, difficulty biting or chewing. Help

HI, I recently started having pain in my gums. It started with a sore on the left side of one tooth(which doesn t hurt anymore). Now its my back tooth on the right, where my wisdom tooth was. It feels as if my gums are trying to grow over it or somethings growing out. It s very painful. My hard palate and the middle of my two front teeth hurt also, i can barely bite or chew anything. And last, my back teeth on the left are now closing on my cheek. Like when I close my mouth, they some how catch a little line of meat on my cheek and now its starting to bother me. Please help! I have never had these problems before and it s really becoming a burden on my life.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Hello there....there are two things here...When you have a bucally erupting/erupted upper third molar it usually hurts you buccal mucosa (inner part of you cheek). If the upper third molars is placed towards the cheek, as when you occlude your teeth the mucosa falls between your teeth and causes cheek bite...If you have sharp cusps this would also cause cheek bite as when you occlude...If upper third molar is the cause then you need to get it removed.... Sharp cusps can be managed by grinding them..
Pain in your gums could be because of the inflammation process that would result in because of the deposits that gets accumulated over your tooth surface...Get them cleaned. Your gum pain would gradually come down...
Visit your dental surgeon for clinical evaluation and management.
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
There might be some infection in your teeth that has lead to infection.
It has progressed till pulp & might require Root Canal Treatment or extraction based on clinical situation of tooth.
Its better to get an IOPAR done of that tooth & get its treatment started.
Meanwhile start with analgesic & antibiotic.
Consult your dentist for further query.

Take Care
Answered: Wed, 26 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Pain in gums is due to infection.Pain in gums can be there because of infected tooth present. Infection must have reached the dental pulp which has nerve and have caused pain and pain in gums and teeth. If infection has reached nerve, then root canal treatment is required for the tooth. In root canal treatment, infectious necrotic portion of tooth is removed and is replaced with filling material.Pain in tooth, swelling and pain of gums, inability to eat are symptoms which suggest that root canal treatment is required. Infection will not go till you get treatment done for your infected tooth. Visit your dentist as soon as possible.By the time you visit a dentist, you can take otc pain medicines for some relief. You can avoid eating from that side of mouth and maintain good oral hygiene.
Answered: Mon, 26 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Preet Kaur's  Response
hi there

thanx for the query

As per the symptoms you described seems to me like condition of periodontitis which is severe gum infection, caused due to ignored oral hygiene.

you would require a professional dental cleaning by a PERIODONTIST as well as ROOT CANAL TREATMENT or EXTRACTION for the badly infected tooth depending on the clinical situation as investigated by x ray/ OPG.

you need to visit dentist for the commencement of medication and treatment.

keep rinsing your mouth with warm saline water (half cup luke warm water + half tbs salt)


Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor