Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Pain in ears, diagnosed as water behind eardrum, swelling, bleeding. Surgery prescribed. Alternative solution?

My friend was having some pain in her ear n when she visited a doctor( ent ) she told her that she has water behind her eardrum nd a swelling there which had once caused bleeding. The doc has given her 5 day medicine saying if there is no imp with the medicines the water will have to be taken out by making a hole in the eardrum. She is very much scared after hearing this. Plz tell me if there is a slotion to it without any type of surgery
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for the query

The description you have provided is suggestive of supporative otitis media which means that she is having middle ear infection which have caused pus and discharge that has accumulated in the middle ear cavity. The fluid will drain itself after the elimination of the infection but presence of fluid delays the healing process and the infection may spread through it to sinuses or external ear and may form abscess therefore if the infection do not subsides with 2-3 days then it is important to have surgery which is a minor procedure simply make a hole in the ear membrane or insert a small gromet in case of repeated infections.
It is recommended to go with you ENT doctor advice

Answered: Tue, 12 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor