Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Pain in chest area, hard to breathe. Reason?

Hey I m 21 years of age I don t smoke at all never have never will but however I am experiencing pains in the chest area when I inhale its hard to breathe and I m hot and cold but more hot then cold I m just tired my energy is drained my throat however doesn t hurt no weird coughs r anything like that just wanna know what s going on please help
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  517
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi yellabread
Thanks for coming to HCM
pain in the chest which typically increases with deep inhalation, coughing, sneezing etc is called pleuritic chest pain. The pathology behind this when ever two inflamed pleural layers rub each other by coming closer by above mentioned maneuvers it causes pain ....the parietal pleura b eing a pain sensitve structure.

The reason is acute peuritis. usually the pain subsides by antibiotis or by development of pleural effusion which separates the two inflamed pleural layers....

my advice will be go for a chest xray PA view to rule out lung consolidation, pneumothorax, pleural effusion etc ......

If the pain is on left side and radiating to left shoulder go for ECG to rule out anginal pain though less common in this age group.

meet your doctor....

best wishes
Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear,

Chest pain can be caused by various reasons, including minor problem such as indigestion or stress, to serious medical emergencies such as a heart attack.

Causes of chest pain include:
1. Angina
2. Strained chest muscles due to overuse
3. Chest muscle injury
4. Short-term, sudden anxiety with rapid breathing
5. Respiratory tract infection
6. Peptic ulcer disease
7. Pain from the digestive tract, such as esophageal reflux

So, it will be better to consult a Doctor & get a physical examination done to rule out other causes. So that proper management steps could be taken.

Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Answered: Sun, 7 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor