Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Pain in both breast. Diagnosed fibrocystic disease. Any relation to breast cancer?

Hello. am 23 years old.I was been said that fibrocystic disease.I have pain in both breast. I want to know that if fibrocystic disease have any relation to breast cancer?and what is fibrocystic disease.I have done x-ray , mammogram , ultra sound ultra sound scan reported that both mammary glands show mild fibroadenotic changes of parenchyma
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  97
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
You are having Fibrocystic disease og breast, in which lumps are present and they can be painful or tender this discomfort may change with changes in hormone level during periods.
These are non cancerous in nature so please do not worry.
You have already done mammography and sonography, and they also support your diagnosis.
You should be examined by a Surgeon who can palpate typical cobble stone type in upper and outer quadrant.
If there are any suspicious lump then only a fine needle biopsy or nipple fluid aspitration is done to rule out malignant lesion.
Risk of cancer is there but very small fraction, only thing sometime it may be difficult to diagnose in presence of fibrocystic disease.
For pain local or systemic analgesic may be used and treatment option are few but may be dopamine agonist and progestins.
Take care
Good luck

Answered: Mon, 31 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Oncologist Dr. Indranil Ghosh's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
Fibrocystic disease is a benign disorder found in many young females. It is due to hormonal influences and result in areas of fibrosis interspersed with small cysts (fluid filled enlarged ducts). It is NOT cancerous and mostly resolve with time or become less problematic.
Just do periodic checkup with your doctor.
Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 31 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor