Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Pain in abdomen and chest when eating or drinking. Family history of gall bladder issues

Im a 26 yr old male. Healthy. When i eat, rdrink, swallow , breathe i get a sharp pain in my right side between my abdominals and chest . I drink occasionally and lift weights. My family has a history of gallbladder issues. Im currently not taking any medication and the pain started Saturday night. It has progressed. Even while resting i have discomfort.
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, johnpaf7,
I see that you aree a weight lifter, which is good.
The symptoms that you describe are suggestive of
GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). These
symtoms may be associated with a hiatus hernia.
If a part of your stomach slides up and down through
the hole in the diaphragm, the muscle that separates
the chest and abdomen, that is hiatal hernia. This can
get aggravated by heavy lifting , bending, coughing etc.
What happens is, there is a sphincter barrior at the junction
of the esophagus and stomach that prevents acid from
backing up into the esophagus. If the sphincter is weak, then
acid can back up and cause pain,heartburn etc. If you are
experiencing pain when you eat, drink, or swallow, that may
indicate inflammation at the area of the junction. You might even
have some scarring from acid damage and spasm or narrowing.
What you need is to get an x-ray of the esophagus and stomach
first to look for any narrowing or big hiatus hernia. If present, then
you need an endoscopic evaluation by a specialist to get a direct
look and perhaps biopsy to look for problems.
As for the history of gallbladder disease in the family, you can get
a sonogram of the gallbladder as a screening test.
There are effective medications to treat GERD which you can discuss
with your doctor after the tests I mentioned above.
I wish you good luck and good health.
Answered: Sun, 23 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein's  Response
Apr 2013
Dear sir, it sounds to me like gastric or gallbladder disorder. You should avoid food that trigger such pain especially alcohol, coffee and fat food. You need to do ultrasound and gastroscopy to find the exact problem. It can definitely be gallbladder stones even at your age. If this is something acute asscoiated with fever and persistent pain with muscle guarding then you should go to hospital to rule out cholecystitis or other intraabdominal inflammation.

Wish you good health
Answered: Mon, 24 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor