Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Pain around belly button with itching and discomfort, blisters inside belly button post navel piercing. Remedy?

I got a navel piercing done just over 3 months ago, and during that time I got an infection and received anti-biotics for it, and I was advised to use a dilute dettol to clean the piercing as a disinfectant. I got a pre arranged dilute dettol and after a few days of using it there was no problem, then just a day ago I was feeling a lot of pain around my bellybutton and itchyness and general discomfort. I examined it tonight and found there to be blisters inside of my bellybuttom :( I don t know if this is the right specialist to be asking this question but Im wondering what can I do to help heal the swelling and blisters or will this come clear within it s own time?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  149
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Dec 2013
Thanks for posting your query to HCM.

After reading your query I can make out the best possible diagnosis of "Belly button infection". Any kind of discharge from this area is almost always a sign of an infection. As this area is moist so there are high chances of fugal and bacterial proliferation. The open wounds caused by scratching are source for secondary bacterial infection and then yellowish or smelly discharge. Can be treated by proper oral treatment.

Kindly follow the instructions below:

- no picking or scratching the belly button

- wash the area with simple soap.

- clean the area with warm saline water and dry it completely with sterilized gauze multiple time of the day.

- Apply antibacterial cream such as Mupirocin or fucidin over the area in a very thin layer.

- You can take antihistamine such as loratadione or leveocetrizine for itching according to medical advice.

Hope to have provided the best information regarding your problem.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor