Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Pain and tingling sensation in lower back. MRI of lumbur-sacral spine showed compression of thecal sac. Suggest?

Impression from MRI of lumbu-sacral spine report as under: CENTRAL PROTRUSION OF THE L5-S1 DISC CAUSING COMPRESSION OF THECAL SAC AND BILATERAL NERVE ROOTS. I have a recurring problem of either lower back pain or pain in right leg or tingling sensations as if static electric current anywere in whole back. Can this be completely cured? Can I ever hit gym again?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Radiologist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM, and thanks for posting your query to us.

The findings of the MRI and your description of your problems are quite matching.

The nerves that control our lower limb muscles are protected in the spinal canal, which is a long tunnel through our spinal column. To provide agility and flexibility, the spinal column consists of "disks" in addition to bony vertebrae. Due to many reasons, these disks (and sometimes even the vertebrae) can be dislodged from their normal position, resulting in compression upon the spinal cord and thereby hampering the functioning of the nerves.

This is what has happened in your case. The mentioned disk has "protruded" and created compressive effects upon the nerves, leading to "tingling sensations as if static electric current".

You'd now have to consult a neurosurgeon or spinal surgeon, who would cut off the protruded part of the disk so that it no more presses on the nerves. This is the conventional form of surgery that is available most widely. More satisfactory outcome is said to have been achieved by "ozone nucleolysis". There are various forms of surgery and treatment options, so you'd have to discuss with your surgeon which is the most appropriate for you.

After a successful operation, you can go back to normal life but you'd have to follow certain precautions that your surgeon would advise you. And once this type of problem has taken place, the chances of it happening again are quite high.

However, worries and frustration would only harm you. Go ahead with courage, consult your surgeon, have the operation (or other appropriate treatment) and follow the precautions. No fears, and nothing to panic — it's only a part of life, and thousands before you have gone through it.

If you've further queries or need clarifications on my answer, I'd be too happy to get back to you. Just click the "ask me directly" button above.

Be well. Wishing you all the best.
Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor