Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Pain and swelling in right knee. Tried physical therapy. MRI shows fracture. Treatment?

Hi, my nephew was playing football on saturday and was injured not sure how. He has had pain and swelling of the right knee . An MRI was ordered today and it was found that he had a nondisplaced subchondral impaction fracture at the central weight bearing portion of his lateral femoral condyle. Is this treated just with non weightbearing and physical therapy?
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  192
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
yes . for undisplaced subchondral fractures treatment is non weight bearing and mobilization .absolutely joint should not be made to bear weight for a period of upto six weeks before walking bearing weight .
needs to be followed with discipline . if the fractures impacts and depresses then osteoarthritis comes prematurely
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The fracture you mentioned is usually treated with non weight bearing. He can use a knee brace for a few days to give an extra support to the injured area. Physical therapy is advisable after the acute pain subsides.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor