Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Pain all over body, had MRI. Can any online doctor help me to read it?

I am 27 years old and doing job which requires constant sitting. I started having pain in the left and right thighs, buttocks and lower back pain which was not permanent but I felt uncomfortable. I went to a Orthopaedic Surgeon who suggested me for MRI.

MRI results:
1. Diffuse bulge with broad based left central protrusion of L5-S1 intervertebral disc causes left predominant canal narrowing with displacement of of left S1 traversing nerve root.
2. Diffuse bulge of L4-5 intervertebral disc causes slight anterior thecal sac indentation and bilateral lateral canal narrowing.

Is it a major problem?

Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  14
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Your description and MRI findings suggest that you have "Lumbar disc disease" with symptoms of radiculopathy. Its definetely not a major problem at this juncture and can be treated conservatively by following means -
* Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy weights
* Avoid sudden jerks to the back (eg. bumpy rides on a two wheeler or horse riding)
* physiotherapy for strengthening back muscles
* ocassional muscle relaxants and neurotropic vitamin supplementations
* using a lumbosacral support.
* At times, an epidural steroid injection may help

If symptoms are still persisting, then you may need surgical intervention.
Approach an orthopedic surgeon and follow his advice. Hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 1 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Mukesh Tiwari's  Response
Welcome at HCM.

It looks from your details that you are having prolapse of your disc at the level of lumber 5 & sacral one vertebrae.This prolapse or out pouched disc is compressing over your nerve.Compression of nerve is cause for pain in limbs.You should consult to your orthopedic doctor for this.

You may need surgery.

Hope this will help you.
Answered: Sat, 29 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor