Pacemaker as a disability

can having a pacemaker be classed as having a disability ?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Treatment/Therapy
NO Not unless it seriously restricts your mobility or physical ability in some way. You were probably in worse shape before the pacemaker

I was told yesterday that I have brady tachy syndrome. I have had numerous dvt s and had a fempop bypass and hypothyroidism. 9 months ago he put in a loop recorder and found a second degree heart block. Numerous heart caths are normal. He told me since all of this I would have a pacemaker put in next week if the syndrome doesn t stop. My question is I am a nurse and I want to know if all of this is going to make me file for disability since my body feels so bad or would I even qualify for the disability with all these problems.

I have had r bundle block and a pacemaker was installed, I am using it 85% of the time. I can not sustain my fulltime job as it requires a 40 to 60 hour work week. I am only able to work at this time few hours a day and find myself mentally and physically exhausted. I am 60 years of age, do I qualify for disability and will recieve social security?

my husband 32 yrs old and has had is pacemaker a couple years but he does struggle with pain in is shoulder and hes had xrays done etc done been told hes got damaged nerves in the shoulder hes just finished work will he be intilted to disability living allowance

Recent questions on Artificial pacemaker

Hello Sir, I am suffering from Bradycardia and Tracycardia (Irregular heart beat). I have been taking some Ayurveidc medicin from JIVA Ayurveda and on daily basic i am doing Bhasrika & Alom-vilom pranayam. But not looking any big benifit. I have checked in Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai. Dr. suggested me to go for Pacemaker. I don t want to go for that. Could you please suggest me on that.

My husband has a low heart rate, 42, and is feeling nauseous. His normal heart rate is 55 or so. His doctors tell him he will end up w a pacemaker someday but no official diagnosis has been made beside the fact that he has a heart murmur. Should I take him to the ER NOW

my mother has had a duel chamber pacemaker inserted 5 days ago, St jude medical. may i ask how long should my mother take to recover from this proecure, she is 87 years old and has experienced 3 week history of shortnes of breath prior to this procedure?

My son is 36 years old. He has dilated cardiomyopathy with a heart efficiency rate of 15 to 20%. He has sleep apnea and sleeps with a CPAP mask. He has had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted. He is 6'5" and weighs about 360. He knows he needs to lose weight, but even with a healthy diet of fish, veggies and no salt, he is still heavy. He rides a recumbent bicycle about 3 miles a day. He is on diuretics and coreg. What would you suggest as the best course of treatment from here? I am not sure he would survive a heart transplant.

Age 84, pace maker, de-flib installed, pace maker installed, by-pass surgery 9 years ago, and now on cardiologist appropriate drug regimen, I note cold fingers when moving around, blue finger nails at base, as I resume quiet body activity coldness...

I am a patient with a condition called Left Bundle Block. A relatvely new drug was used to treat my condition with promising sucess called Levosimendan at the American Hospital in Paris It is hoped That further treatment with Levosimendan may help...

Dear Sir/ Madam, My father has been diagnosed with Bifascicular Block and Sinus Bradycardia . He is 72 years old, and had an angioplasty with stenting, some 4 years back. His ECG readings are as follows - QRS: 142 ms QT/ QTc: 440/ 409 ms PR:198 ms...