Pacemaker as a disability

can having a pacemaker be classed as having a disability ?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Treatment/Therapy
's  Response
NO Not unless it seriously restricts your mobility or physical ability in some way. You were probably in worse shape before the pacemaker

I was told yesterday that I have brady tachy syndrome. I have had numerous dvt s and had a fempop bypass and hypothyroidism. 9 months ago he put in a loop recorder and found a second degree heart block. Numerous heart caths are normal. He told me since all of this I would have a pacemaker put in next week if the syndrome doesn t stop. My question is I am a nurse and I want to know if all of this is going to make me file for disability since my body feels so bad or would I even qualify for the disability with all these problems.

I have had r bundle block and a pacemaker was installed, I am using it 85% of the time. I can not sustain my fulltime job as it requires a 40 to 60 hour work week. I am only able to work at this time few hours a day and find myself mentally and physically exhausted. I am 60 years of age, do I qualify for disability and will recieve social security?

my husband 32 yrs old and has had is pacemaker a couple years but he does struggle with pain in is shoulder and hes had xrays done etc done been told hes got damaged nerves in the shoulder hes just finished work will he be intilted to disability living allowance

Recent questions on  Artificial pacemaker

Atrial fibrillation with RVR. 82 year old white male. History of mini-strokes. Diagnosed with SSS- went in for an AV pacemaker. Came out with AFib with RVR. Now afib is at a rate 50% of the time at 100-120. and 2 % of the time up to 180. He is on lopressor XL bid 150mg. What would you suggest next?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...

My 90 year old father is completely pacemaker dependent, but has had a stroke, is wheelchair bound and now has dementia. Difficult to get him to a cardiologist office. What will happen to him if the battery gets low?

My husband has a low heart rate, 42, and is feeling nauseous. His normal heart rate is 55 or so. His doctors tell him he will end up w a pacemaker someday but no official diagnosis has been made beside the fact that he has a heart murmur. Should I take him to the ER NOW

My grandmother is 80 years old and is int he hospital. Throughout the night her heart would stop and start again. The Cardiologist is coming to evaluate her today but the nursing staff are saying she will need a pacemaker. First, I thought pacemakers were for irregular heartbeats and Secondly, what condition could she have to cause this because her heart has always been very healthy?

Age 84, pace maker, de-flib installed, pace maker installed, by-pass surgery 9 years ago, and now on cardiologist appropriate drug regimen, I note cold fingers when moving around, blue finger nails at base, as I resume quiet body activity coldness...

I am a patient with a condition called Left Bundle Block. A relatvely new drug was used to treat my condition with promising sucess called Levosimendan at the American Hospital in Paris It is hoped That further treatment with Levosimendan may help...

Dear Sir/ Madam, My father has been diagnosed with Bifascicular Block and Sinus Bradycardia . He is 72 years old, and had an angioplasty with stenting, some 4 years back. His ECG readings are as follows - QRS: 142 ms QT/ QTc: 440/ 409 ms PR:198 ms...