Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

PCOS. Painful periods after childbirth. Suggestions?

I got told by my GP that I have PCOS. I fall pregnant a year ago, my son is four months. I got high blood pressure problems at 30 weeks onwards, the doctors induce me at 37 and half weeks pregnant. I've got my period back and its heaver than usual, sorer than usual. What do you recommended? I do try and take pain killers, but they don't work :(
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thank you for your query.
Heavy menstrual bleeding or mennorhagia is an unusual but a serious component of PCOS.

This is more common in patients who are obese with PCOS. Sometimes the small and primitive follicles produce enough oestrogen to thicken the lining of the uterus but the compacting and balancing hormone, progesterone, is absent.

This can lead to the lining of the uterus becoming thicker and thicker .This may be associated with quite heavy bleeding or irregular, frequent and even constant bleeding. this form of bleeding needs investigation of the lining of the uterus by hysteroscopy and biopsy to make sure that they are not developing cancerous or pre-cancerous changes.

treatment includes lifestyle changes including excercise,diet control and medications.
medications include-
1.hormone therapy to help control your ovary hormones. To correct menstrual cycle problems, birth control hormones keep your endometrial lining in check.Hormone therapy can also help with male-type hair growth and acne.

2.Birth control pills, patches, or vaginal rings are prescribed for hormone therapy.these help in menstrual flow regulation and also help with the pain.

3.Androgen-lowering spironolactone is often used with estrogen-progestin birth control pills. This helps with hair loss, acne, and male-pattern hair growth on the face and body

you can discuss these options with your OB/GYN and start the appropriate treatment.

thank you,
you can contact me for further queries.
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor