Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Overweight, smoker and drinker. Swollen leg and feet, leg pains while walking. What is your suggestion?

Hello. My boyfriend is 60 years old, drinks approx. 1 bottle of wine each day, smokes and is about 40 pounds overweight . His legs and feet have been swollen for a few months and he complains about pain in his feet when he walks. He does not have insurance, which is why he has not seen anyone about this. Any thoughts or suggestions??? Please?
Tue, 16 Jul 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

The swelling in feet indicates some impairment in functioning of vital organs like liver, heart or kidneys. Your boyfriend must get at least routine blood investigations like liver function tests done, so that an assessment can be made of where the problem lies. Whatever the cause, both alcohol and smoking will just worsen it. He also seriously needs to consider quitting both. He should get a medical consultation as soon as possible and not neglect this.

Best wishes.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor