Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Overweight having ovarian cysts. Have pain and itching on the body. Need to see a surgeon immediately?

hello i know i have ovaian cystst they said were not canceras only by c125 the first time it was high 2nd time it was alright i have 4 cysts one that was 12cm i am over weight so he said i should lose weight i am know worried because my cysts are know 18cm and im getting a bit of pain and cant eat and im itching all over i hope i havent been left to long my surgen is awhere of this and im seeing him this month do you think its been left to long
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  118
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

You have not mentioned your age (whether in child-bearing age or menopausal). Removal of ovarian cysts in child-bearing age is wrought with risk of damage to ovaries. At times, it is impossible to remove the cyst without the ovaries. If ovaries are removed, a lady will not be able to have a child.

I have no idea about the course of action decided by your surgeon. Ideally, such huge cysts should been removed by now. You should therefore discuss with your surgeon, the reason for the delay in surgery.

Further, in view of you being overweight, I hope that your treating doctor have explored the possibility of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which is characterized by obesity and weight gain, elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance with possible diabetes; excess hair growth over the body and male-pattern hair loss, menstrual irregularities, acne, oily skin, dandruff, infertility, skin discolorations, high cholesterol levels and elevated blood pressure.

If you have had any of these symptoms, you may be suffering from PCOS, the treatment of which is different from that of isolated polycystic ovaries.

Discuss my opinion with your treating surgeon, who- if has not ruled out this diagnosis- may have a rethink of his opinion.

Hope you find my response helpful and informative.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Tue, 12 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor