Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Over bite, unable to close lips normally. Kindly suggest

I had braces 10 years ago, I am 24 (male) now.I am having over bite now and unable to close lips normally.My upper lips are shorter and I think my upper jaws are also slightly downwards which makes my front two teeth longer, my question is that can braces resolve this or is it possible to reduce the length of the teeth, my concern over braces is that I suppose it will make my teeth look like a fence as my upper lip is shorter and I have seen many people like that after they remove braces.
Asked On : Sun, 20 Feb 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  578
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Orthodontics 's  Response
I have read your problem,Your case seems to be a relapse case. But looking to your age (24 yrs) now,Re orthodontic treatment is possible through expert orthodontist.Again,it will take two years.After orthodontic treatment ,your face will become alright. Donot go for any tooth reduction procedure ,in that way your teeth becomes permanently damaged and creats sensitivity problem.After two years your lips become normal and over bite willcorrect 100%.
All the best.
Answered: Sat, 8 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
yes i would advice you to go for reorthodontic treatment.
If you are concetned about the looks that is your teeth
will look as fenced i would advice to go for for ceramic braces
these are hardly face structuse and smile will improve
after an year.dont get ypur teeth reduced as this will damage
and cause them sensitive.
Answered: Mon, 10 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Navneet Kumar's  Response
hi as you have stated you had braces may be your teeth are relapsing that is they are moving back to their previous position Go to a dentist if you are in need of ortho treatment get it done or else you can get your tooth (2) grinded a bit to reduce the length.
Answered: Mon, 21 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, reduction of length of teeth is not possible. You have to undergo an orthodontic treatment. By this treatment the teeth can be pushed back in the bone to the desired extent and hence they look smaller. Open bite as well as deep bite can be corrected with an orthodontic treatment as well. Please consult a good orthodontist. Please do not have any apprehensions. The treatment will give you better aesthetic appearance. Take care!
Answered: Mon, 21 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor