1. Optifast is basically a medically supervised weight management
program with comprehensive patient education and support, [and she is going for lap band surgery for weight loss] and if she has started under expertise of physicians then they will look out for possible treatment options but if she has started without proper guidance, thus it is requested that you should consult the doctor [bariatric centers] / dietitian regarding how to properly take up the program [since weight is not mentioned by you]
2. some people have reported to have extreme low blood sugar
issues with shakes, check with her blood sugar level.
3. since it is a liquid [protein] diet, thus causes the liver to shrink along with growling sound [which might be the cause of abdominal pains also], ask for ultrasonography
of abdomen to exclude the possibility.
4. the main ingredient of optifast apart from powdered milk is Fructose which is immediately converted to fat and is directly linked to following diseases:
.Weight Gain,Type II Diabetes,Polycystic Ovary Disease,Heart Disease,Stroke,High Blood Pressure
,Gout ,Dementia,Depression and Anxiety,Fatty Liver Disease
Cirrhosis of the Liver,Liver Failure
,Kidney Disease, and Tooth Decay
5. one major complication of lap band surgery is esophageal disease
[ulceration], which may require extra medication and gastroscopy to relieve, so check with your attending Doctor regarding the outcome and prognosis of the weight reduction programme.
. they can be removed if the need arises, such as pregnancy, where a pregnant mother needs more food, so that the child is born healthy.