Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

On pain pill addiction. Unable to quit. How to get off from pill addiction?

Hi iv been dealing with my husbands pain pill addiction for awhile now. i cant deal with it anymore i have heard so many excuses in the book that he is going to quit and hasnt yet. im too the point where if he doesnt go and get professional help im gone we have a two year old daughter. he promised lately that he is going to quit by slowing down he slowed down maybe for a week but his slowing down is just another excuse to still by them. he is scared that if he goes and gets help from a doctor that his work will find out which i dont think they can find out because of the privacy act and all of that, so its probably just another excuse. im done with all the lying and the broken promises and the excuses hes tearing his family apart and i dont know what to tell him anymore. how do i talk to him about it without another fight and if he does go get help can his work find out?
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  12
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
I wanted to know which pain medicine your husband is taking? Certain pain medicine contains opiates, whereas most over the counter medicines are Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID). So please see the content of pills and google it to know which class of drugs he takes.
If opiates then he must seek medical help to stop the addiction because it has a quite painful withdrawal syndrome with cramps, diarrhea, running nose or more than that.
If he is taking NSAID class of drug then he will have to tapper the no. of pills he takes slowly over 2-3 weeks period and commonly no severe withdrawal occurs. But once he is off drug you will have to look for any persistent features of depression and anxiety and get it treated from a certified psychiatrist if it doesn't improve in more than 2-3 weeks.
If he seeks help from the doctor at his work then its a possibility that the management will be informed if he takes pills during work hours. However when he approaches himself for detoxifcation it should not be a problem to the management but they shall be vigilant in future if he slips, which is a good thing for him. But if he still is hesitant you can seek help outside the workplace to a private doctor which will not be notified to the company.
In order to convenience him to quit you have to be supportive and encouraging to him. You need to maintain calm because being a dependent on drug already it wont be easy for him to maintain his motivation to quit. You need to make him understand about how your child's future is dependent on him and how you together can make it a better one. This convincing thing you may have to do multiple times to see fruitful results.
Hope it helped. Feel free to ask any more queries. Take care.
Answered: Sat, 24 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor