On calcium channel blockers for tachycardia, heart rate shoots up, is this condition life threatening?

Hi. I am a 33 years old female and I have been diagnosed with tachycardia and given a calcium channel blocker for that. I am still worried since my heart rate shoots up for any small exercise I do, like climbing the stairs, I cannot even breath and sometimes with no exercise at all..My heart will start beating and 150 and more. I would like to know if this condition is life threatening and if i can live my life normally or should i avoid exercise and other activities. Thanks!
Tue, 7 Jan 2014