Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Old aged, speaking irrelevant after head injury. How to improve her condition?

Hi, My grand mother is 86 years old. Recently she had a small injury on her head and since then she speaks everything irrelevant. She doesn t recognize anyone. She keeps speaking as if there is something else around her and keeps describing about what she is imagining. She says she can t see properly and doesn t respond to what someone asks. Just before all this she was perfectly alright and never had a single complaint except of high blood pressure . Please suggest how we can improve her position. Currently she is admitted in a hospital and is going through some treatment
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  124
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your grandmother's symptoms , it appears that she is in delirium. Now, delirium can be caused due to various reasons like brain injury, salt imbalance, dehydration and various other medical causes.

The most important thing in the management of delirium is finding the cause - because treating the cause will resolve the symptoms. I hope she has had a brain scan for the head injury and appropriate treatment measures are being taken.

In addition to the medicat management at the hospital, re-orienting her to time, place and persons, ensuring adequate hydration, setting up a confortable environment (proper lighting, comfortable bedding, avoiding too much of noise or disturbances, etc.) and re-assuring her can all help in improving her condition.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor