Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Old aged, having speech problem. Due to head injury in accident, Alzheimer disease?

Hello doctor myself & my wife greet you with warm wishes & for a good prosperity in your profession. This is in respect of my Wife who is aged 61 years & retired from the service at the age of 60 years. After retirement, she is having trouble in the speech i-e for seeking water, she may say get bucket & similar mistakes she make. In this context I have to bring to your kind information that through she had head injury & followed with concussion on the right side of her head. One of the eye has become blackish, & after few months she became normal & attending her normal routine work before retirement. The point of doubt that is often felt in our mind, her illness of speech problem is due to the accident she incurred or due to old age or due to Alzheimer disease , we are in confusion. Kindly enlighten us in this regard & oblige. Thanking you, Yours sincerely, Mr.J.Y.Martin
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Hello Mr. Martin
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The symptomatology you have described are trouble in speech, and forgetting things etc. This may be due to two reasons-

One thing is post trauma sequel. After head trauma to head patients may develop forgetfulness, memory impairment, irritability, mood swings etc. But to confirm this you have to get MR scan of your wife done to find any significant lesion if any.

Other possibility is Dementia due to age, or Alzheimer's disease. As Alzheimer's disease may present with symptoms like forgetfulness, change in behavior, irritability and other cognitive dysfunctions. As she is 61 and also she is having the history of trauma to head, most likely her symptomatology is due to Alzheimer's dementia. I will advise you to take her to a good Psychiatrist and get her evaluation done. Tests like Mini Mental Status Examination can be applied to her to check for cognitive decline.

Although dementia is irreversible but we can stop the progression of disease. Medicines like Memantin, Donepezil are very effective in dementia.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Tue, 12 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor