Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Old aged, experiencing shortness of breath. Which specialist should i refer?

My dad is a healthy 93 year old who has been recently experiencing shortness of breath--just talking on the telephone I can hear him trying to catch his breath-excessive coughing w/ flem etc. I want to have him see a specialist but not sure to even make the appt. with-- pulmonary specialist? Could it be due to something w/ his heart--so a cardiologist? He went to his family doctor awhile ago and they did a chest x-ray and everything looks fine . They gave him some pills of some sort that he s supposed to take if he feels the coughing coming on--but there s no warning for that. He s not a smoker. Could have been exposed to harsh chemicals over his lifetime working as a interior/exterior painter in the days when no one knew the toxic effects of chemicals/asbestos, etc??? COPD??
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  13
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The priority is to see a cardiologist – heart failure needs to be evaluated…
EKG / ECHOcardiogram / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.

If there are no clues, the next step will be a Pulmonologist – CT chest, Spirometry and so on will be required…

The treating doctor alone can suggest further based on his assessment of the situation.

Take care     
Wishing all well
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 12 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor