Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Occasional tightness in chest, no pain or discomfort. Should I be concerned?

I am experiencing occasional tightness in my chest , no real pain or discomfort. I had what a family friend who is a nurse called a pleurisy three weeks ago, but it got better after taking ibuprofen . Only within the past few days have I started to feel occasional tightness in my chest. It doesn t really hinder my ability to do anything, I m just wondering if I should be concerned enough to take more immediate action or wait to see if it clears itself up again. Again, no pain to speak of, just some tightness.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  56
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

A pleurisy is the inflammation of the lining of the pleural cavity surrounding the lungs. This is only a symptom and not the main condition. The ibuprofen that you consumed would have helped in reducing the swelling, to which you found relief. But, this is just the management of the presentation, and not treatment of the cause.

There is a chance that the pleurisy has returned once you discontinued the medication. You will have to visit a doctor, get diagnosed and accordingly manage the condition. Treating the cause of pleurisy would be the aim of therapy as of now.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Gustav Gous's  Response
Thank you for your question. Pleurisy is usually painful or at best uncomfortable, if you had pleurisy Ibuprofen is not the correct treatment. Ibuprofen can cause bronchospasm ( tightness of the chest). I suggest you see a doctor who can examine you and possibly have a chest x-ray and hopefully a lung function test done. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need any further clarification .
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum. according to your description it appears to be muscular pain or gastric hyper acidity. i advise you to consult a physician for diagnosis and treatment.
If you are doing exercises vigorously make them a bit slowly. avoid taking more of spices, chillies, junk foods, and oily foods to avoid gastric irritation, and reffered chest pain.
You may have to get the tests gastroscopy, E.C.G,along with other routine tests for confermation .
Wishing for a quick recovery from this cunning disease, and thanks for calling health care magic forum for clearing the doubt.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor