Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Obstructive jaundice

I would like to know something about obstructive jaundice. Actually my father-in-law is suffering from this obstructive jaundice.He has been hospitalized in bhagwan mahaveer jain hospital. He is 50 years old. His doctor told me that there is some blockage in his lower part of the liver for which they put 1 stunt before 15 days and they told me like once the the jaundice will come down we have to go for a surgeryin which they will remove the block and make it byepass. The jaundice is present since 1.5 months.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Jan 2010
Answers:  3 Views:  651
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response

Hi.. Hemoglobin in the blood gets hemolysed and is metobolised to bilirubin in the liver which is then secreted into the intestines through the gall bladder and its duct... Obstruction in these duct leads to accumulation of bilirubin which causes jaundice.. This is referred to obstructive jaundice.. The cause for the obstruction could be a stone or any other structural problems in this biliary/gall bladder duct which could be detected by means of a scan or an imaging technique (CT or MRI scan).. And the treatment part, you know..

Answered: Thu, 14 Jan 2010
  User's Response
The commonest cause for obstructive jaundice is gall stones.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
  User's Response

But this case is not due to gall stones but it is due to a growth obstructing the bile duct. Surgery is the curative treatment. Can be done endoscopically as well. Gastronenterologist will be doing the procedure. Yes first Jaundice has to be cured otherwise it can result in unnecessary complications.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor