Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Obese, back problem, sleep apnoea, angina, inability to walk, stand for long. How to convince for treatment?

I am engaged to a great guy. but he is very obese, doesn t eat any veggies or fruit, and i have to fuss just to get him to drink water. he also does very little exercising, and lies in bed 80% of the day. he has moved the tv from the living room to the bedroom, and at one moment he even had the computer in there. he complains of back problems, and cannot walk/stand for very far/long, has sleep apnea and angina. how can i get him to understand this isn t healthy at all?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM!

There is a real situation I see....I feel that you must have tried all your ways to encourage him/ force him/ try to convince him, to become more active but some how these are not seem to be working...

Normally when someone is troubled, he tries to search for the solutions but here I see a person who doesn't want to make an effort. You have not mentioned why he is like this? What all excuses he gives you when he refuses to do some thing ? This is an important part of information which is missing in this question.

Such a life style is no doubt unhealthy plus dangerous for any body. Please see if he is depressed? ( you have not mentioned this in query but at the same time you have not said that he feels great about life or himself). In any case, he will be helped by meeting a psychiatrist/ psychologist. There are some useful weight reducing meds but if it is due to depression, you will be surprised by his response to that treatment. He will becoem much better.

Even if it is not depression, by meeting a psychologist/ psychiatrist will surely help him; he needs " his own kind of motivation" more than anything else. So, donot waste more time, he already has big bunch of physical problems, fix an appointment with a psychiatrist and take him.

Trust me, counselling session do help! good luck!
Feel free to ask more queries
Dr. Manisha Gopal
Answered: Sat, 23 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor