Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Numbness and pain on upper back and neck. Help

Good day. I am an 18 year old female 3rd year college student. I am experiencing numbness and sharp pain on my upper back/ spine back of the neck if i sit for periods of time, also, at the lower back when doing some activities like washing clothes. The pain started when I got into college. I always ignore it, because sometimes it quickly disappears. But these past few months, it s getting more painful or severe. I tried to consult it with a doctor and only suggested to me to exercise because maybe its because of wrong postures. I am afraid it is more than like that. Also, I am sorry. i am not sure of the right doctor to consult with. So please help me with what i have now. thank you
Asked On : Tue, 9 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Spine Surgeon 's  Response

It you are not getting relief by physiotherapy, next best thing to do is an x-ray and an MRI of your cervical spine with screening of whole spine, especially dorsal/ thoracic spine.
It is not uncommon for someone at your age to have a disc problem.

Thank you,
Dr. Amit Sharma
Answered: Wed, 10 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response

Wel come to HCM

Your history suggests you have spine related pain may be associated with muscle spasm,wrong posture can be one of the cause, but it may be something else also so do not ignore it.

You should consult orthopaedic surgeon.after examination a simple X ray of spine and some blood test are helpful o know the cause.

A MRI Spine can give very useful information about the cause do it after consulting orthopaedic surgeon.

In the mean time a simple analgesic like paracetamol and local hot fomentation will give some relif.

Please do not use high pillow,and sit in correct posture.

Once your pain is gone do regular exercises may be better explained by phyiotherapist.

Good luck to you

Answered: Tue, 9 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor