Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Numbing pressure with whooshing sound, hearing loss and tingling in spine and legs, mild headache and a feeling of passing out, relieves on lying, spinal taps, no leak. Suspicion of CSF. What can be done?

My neurologists believe I have a CSF , but have so far been unable to find a leak. I have had four spinal taps and have had no pressure at all on three of them and the fourth I was sitting up and the Anesthesiologist had very little pressure. He then performed a blood patch which was unsuccessful. My symptoms have been hitting me earlier in the day now and upon standing they are becoming more frequent-at this point it is to the point that I have them nearly every time I stand. It is numbing pressure with a whooshing sound accompanied by hearing loss and numbness/ tingling down my spine and into my legs. A few times I actually felt like I may pass out. The headache that accompanies this isn t as intense as it once was but I have noticed that I am also not as sensitive to pain. If I lay down for a few minutes I can get it under control. If I sit for a duration and stand up I go through this all over again. What do I need to communicate at my next appointment to get the help I need?
Asked On : Sat, 26 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  128
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to health care magic,

Everyone has CSF but if you have a leak of CSF then you must be concerned. Since you did not mention where the leak could be then I would assume that it can be in the ear or the nose. In any of these case you must take a CONTRAST CT of the nose and also the temporal bones and get back to me or any ENT with the reports as soon as possible.

Meanwhile reduce the salt in your diet and watch out for any severe fever, neck stiffness and severe headache which are very ominous signs. In all these you must consult an ENT or a neurologist as soon as possible

hope this helps


Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Mon, 7 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor