Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Not able to sweat. Noticed when sick internal fever and causes great pain. Normal?

i have an 8 year old 64 lb boy who has been tested and proven to not be able to sweat. I notice that when he is sick he will most always get and internal fever and it causes him great pain. His legs and hands cramp while his skin burns and aches. I took him to the ER last night because he woke up crying with horrible pain and I tried to put him in the bath as I often do but he screamed out that the water hurt him. When getting his blood pressure take I noticed that his arms looked as if they had been sun burnt. I thought fifths disease? I do not see any other red areas on his body and by this morning his arms looked normal. He had a faint positive streap last night but is no better 24 hours later. In addition he has developed a congested cough. Important to know he was diagnoised with influenza B 2 weeks ago today. After taking 5 days of tami flu and staying in to rest for 6 days he returned to normal. My gut tells me there is something else going besides streap. I have 6 children from 23- 9 months and Ive never seen this. I went to a childrens hospital lastnight- cbc normal, urine normal, and inflamatory normal. Can you help?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Inability to sweat is seen in skin problems like ectodermal dysplasia in which there is absence or abnormalities of skin appendages like hair, sweat glands, and tooth.

It is a congenital problem in which the children are prone for heat pyrexia, fever, and complications of heat exposure.

Child should be prevented heat exposure, should take plenty of oral fluids and water, and should take preventive measures while going out.

I advise you to consult the pediatrician and dermatologist to manage the child problems and to know the preventive aspects.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Thu, 6 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor