Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Non-surgical Alternative to Circumcision ?

Hi, My name's Rakesh. I'm 33 years old, married and have 2 year-old kid. My problem is with phimosis = tight foreskin. I'm a Hindu and never had a circumcision (as a young kid, I wish I had). Due to tight foreskin, on full erection, my glans penis is exposed only half-way. So far, I've have no problem urinating nor ejaculating. But I fear something called para-phimosis which I believe is a medical emergency. I think I'm the right candidate who'll end up with this. Let me explain this in detail. In non-erectile condition, my skin can be retracted and with little difficulty behind the bulb/glans, but it does get stuck behind the ridge. With some difficulty (that too with ample lubrication like warm water or oil) I can push my foreskin back over the glans, as it gets stuck behing the ridge. My foreskin opening is limited. I'm afraid of para-phimosis during coitus with my wife. Twice, during half erection my foreskin got pulled behind the glans and with difficulty I pushed it forward. I know "Circumcision" is the most adviced. But I have these fears: 1) Due to circumcision in older adults, the most sensuous nerves in the part called frenulum is severed and hence men after such older-age circumcision lost erectile functions considerably. 2) Due to non-exposure of glans, it has become quite sensitive. The mere touch of external object like my hand and brush of a harder fabric underwear gives me pain. So my actual question is : 1) What are the alternatives to circumcision to expand my foreskin. I hate to go under the scalpel. I heard some ointments like corticosteroids help a great deal as a non-surgical cure for phimosis. Please suggest some brand name available in India. I stay in Bangalore. 2) How to make the over-sensitive glans a little tough, so that contact with my hand, or my wife's vagina is not painful?? Any ointments there??
Tue, 4 May 2010
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics ,  
  User's Response
's  Response



I was circumcised as a teenager so that I would look like others in the locker room.  I know first hand the difference between being intact and circumcissed. 


I'll answer in order:

1) The frenulum can be left intact during a circumcision.  Even so the foreskin holds about 20,000 nerve endings which you lose in a circumcision.  Exposing the glans (head) also means it will be rubbing against clothes as you walk, run or play with your children.  This is still irritating 19 years after the operation, though it was nearly debilitating in the two years following.  Sex is definitely better if you are intact.


2) The glans doesn't become sensitive.  It is normally sensitive.  If you wish to make it less so then you can pull back the foreskin and walk around.  This will be irritating and give a hint of what being circumcised would be like.  Try using a silicon based lubricant during intercourse.  If that doesn't work try a desensitizing spray/lotion.  They're abundant in the adult stores here in the United States...I'm not sure about India.


3) A dorsal slit has few side effects, and will cure your issue instantly.  Human skin however is very flexible and will stretch under certain conditions.  The skin will stretch if you use a lube (and a desensitizing spray if necessary) and masterbate by pulling the skin back and forth over the head.

  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

Local steroid cream application does help. Consult a specialist in this regard to see if you can use one then start the treatment. I think you need a proper examination.

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My mother had me circumcised as a baby and as science has reported a whole list of negative mental affects happened that only went away a few years ago. Because of this procedure ive never felt complete again. Id like to get it back. I heard theres a surgery and other non surgical procedures. Hoping you can help

doctor1 MD

Hello I m a 25 year old male, I was circumcised as at the age of 18 due to the fact I couldn t pull back my foreskin with out excruciating pain or with out it getting stuck, not only that my glans were so sensitive no matter any touch including water felt like a knife cutting into me. Any who ever since I have my foreskin removed I have been wanting some of it back. I have a low and tight scar about a pinky tip behind the carona. I have found foreskin restoration sites non-surgical seeing as I can t afford surgery. I know I won t get back what I lost with all the ending and everything, but I figured I d ask a doctor about it first. Since every bit of information that I have found hasn t answered whether my skin with be somewhat snug (not as snug as a standard foreskin) just snug enough to look natural around my glans since I only want about 50-70% coverage, nor could I find whether or not I d have nasty streach marks, but from what I have read the skin cells divide making new skin, just like your body would have you build muscle. How much of that do you think is true with your professional opinion. Oh before I forget I didn t lose any sensation with sex in fact it s great, I just miss my foreskin from time to time.

doctor1 MD

I am a 40 year old & wish to go for a circumcision. Wish to know the shortest surgery (laser etc) and the cost associated if planned at Rajkot or Ahmedabad. Also would like to know who the best will be for this.. to go to a plastic surgeon / or a urologist ?

Recent questions on  Glans penis

doctor1 MD

i have small cut in frenulum during intercourse associated with very little pain. But due to this trauma, penis does not get stiff and i face erection problems from last 2 years. Even abstaining from sex for 2 months it gets healed but things recur during sex.
I use vesceline during sex but due to fear of pain or rip it does not become stiff. Also i have weak tissue getting reddish during sex.
I had heavy fixed drug reaction for about 3 months healing time in glans penis about 2 years earlier. Dermatologist says that cut in frenulum and weakness of penis tissue is not because of reaction and the cream he gives for applying does not help.
plz propound some medication.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor,
While having sex, my forskin was torn a little near the tip of the penis 3 days back. There was bleeding which stopped after some time.There is no pain as such except while sliding the forskin back for washing. How serious is this & what should I do? Should I consult a doctor? I applying betadine presently.
Age 38. H 175cm W 70kg.

doctor1 MD

hi i have experienced a problem for a while now where by i have difficulty during intercourse. This relates to the foreskin around the head of the penis becoming split, and very painful even to the point i cannot pull foreskin back...any ideas? Im about 6ft tall onsly slightly over weight...42yrs old. i have had some problems with my immune system where by i have to carry an epipen - allergic to preservatives and some times have swollen tongue.

doctor1 MD

Hi just recently my bell end has been itchy and red its cracked and bleeding aswell but today I have noticed my foreskin has gone really tight when flacid and I cant pull it bback im 25 and have recently been using ciprofloxacin for a urinary tract infection

doctor1 MD

I am 80 years old and have a small sore on my penis that I know happened after constant rubbing of the skin and probably without enough lubrication. Seems to scab over fairly well ,but when peeled after a long time, it has not healed. The scab...

doctor1 MD

I have a question about the penis frenulum . During sex the frenulum ripped and cause bleeding. Now it's no longer attached to the urethra . Will the frenulum heal and grow back to its normal state? Will this make it harder for me to ejaculate?

doctor1 MD

I am 30 years old. I just had circumcision in August. From October I started developing brown/black patches on the penis glans . The patches are around the urethra starting from areas where the stitches are placed. I need some guidance as to why...