Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Night sweats, mood swings. History of depression and anxiety. Menopausal or psychiatric?

Hi. I'm 49 turning 50 this June. Around what age does a woman become menapausal? I believe I'm experiencing symptons (daily night sweats, mood swings, etc), but I also deal with depression/anxiety/bipolar and have been for years and seeing a psyciatrist. I don't know how to deferentiate one from the other. How do I know which symptoms goes to which diagnosis?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Fullerstarks,
Welcome to HCM Forum,
I can understand dilemma you must be going on.Doubts you might have that is you doing right thing continuing psychiatrist follow up considering age related changes.
As you mentioned that from many years you on treatment for Bipolar from psychiatrist.Symptoms of Bipolar are more mental i.e. mood related and Menopausal symptoms are more physical i.e.Sweats,hot flushes,body ache etc.
Only expert person can identify difference and specially, one from whom you taking treatment for prolonged time can able to differentiate this.
Remember that bipolar disorder requires prolonged treatment.
So share with your problem with your psychiatrist - he will definitely help you.
Hope this helps to you.
Best regard.
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

The symptoms like night sweats, mood swings, depressive mood, anxiety, restlessness in a middle aged woman occur most likely due to hormonal changes in pre and perimenopausal period. These symptoms manifest as hot flushes and anxiety. Some Psychiatrist advocate use of hormone replacement in such symptoms. Many other medicines like Duloxetine, Fluoxetine etc are approved drugs for such type of symptoms. They boost the mood and also relieve anxiety. I advise you to please visit a good Psychiatrist for expert opinion.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor