Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Newborn having loose stools. Prescribed with Neocate. Milk intolerance? Can the medication be given?

My baby daughter is 9 weeks old and for 2 weeks has had loose motions. She is still putting on weight, a good colour and my health visitor said to just watch for any change otherwise feed her through it. I couldn t get to see my doctor and he just left a prescription for Advance Neocate as she my be intolerant to baby milk. She was fine on her formula until a couple of weeks ago when her motions became looser. On visiting my health visitor again, she had never heard of Advance Neocate and it says on the label not to be given to infants under 1 yrs of age. What should I do.
Asked On : Mon, 27 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  123
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Exclusive breast feeding the child till the age of 6 months is the best method of feeding and it is not associated with these types of loose stools and feeding problems.

Advance neocate is usually developed for children over 1 year who are allergic to cow's milk.

Shift the child to breast feeding if possible.

Oral probiotics can be given with prescription.

Consult the pediatrician for feeding advise and treatment of loose stools.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Wed, 19 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor