Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

New born with low palate count, negative results for thrombocytopenia. What should be done?

My new born baby is suffering from low platelate count.When cbc tested on day 5, platelate found were 0000 later on reduced to 0000 after that dr suggested to keep baby in nicu.after saline platelate icreased to 0000 they didnt found any infection. after month again tested blood two times in diff of 15 days and found again platelates are low to 0000. They tested for Thrombocytopenia and reports are nill. then sgpt test also done, sgpt count was not high. what should we do now
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
as you have told that your baby has low platelet count which even on repeated transfusion did not increase
following possibilties are there
this may be
1 congenital thrombocytopenia
autoimmune thrombocytopenia
alloimmune thrombecytopnia

get following test done

since infection had been ruled out i will not go again for evidence of infection

platelet count repeat
maternal platelet count
peripheral smear for size of platelet
survey of child to find out bony abnormality ( TAR syndrome)
if immune mediated thrombocytopenia is found this need steroid therapy
if defect is in platelet production this need transplant or repeated platelet transfusion

Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor