Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Narrowing exit foramina, radiculopathy etc. Full MRI results not given, kindly help me

Please help. I m Sarah, 49, 5 5 , 9.5 stone. I have severe left shoulder blade pain, bad left shoulder pain, medium left arm pain, mild neck pain . This has been going on for 16 months and doctor has done nothing about it but had a private consultant appointment recently and have just got back results of NHS MRI scan, EMG and bone density scan. Bone density scan results excellent. The MRI results I have been sent give hardly any detail at all - just that I have mild to moderate degenerative spondylosis changes at C5/6. There is some associated narrowing of exit foramina . Also mentions minor chronic neurogenic changes and cervical radiculopathy. I have spent hundreds of hours reading about all of the above and have gained some understanding but surely I need to know exactly what these changes are ie osteophytes or bulging discs etc and also what degree of foraminal stenosis I have ? I am particularly worried by the foraminal narrowing and really need to know what to what degree this is present. I believe this was brought about by 7 months of repetitive stress injury - prolonged neck hyperextension and rotation. Now RSI has stopped for 7 months I have finally stopped getting shooting stabbing pains and now have a deep deep ache in shoulder blade and area above this. I have at most before this had a few days of backache in my entire life. Also relevant is that I hurt my arms lifting 5 years ago - my right one healed but my left didn t but I did not ever get any neck or back pain with this. Doctors visit really frustrating as I asked for more details and long term prognosis with foraminal stenosis and she just said that even she didn t understand all that jargon and I should not worry about that and just concentrate on coping with the pain. I pushed her on this and I said that there could be various reasons for the stenosis and she just said that it was probably osteophytes even though she only had the same letters as me. To add insult to injury she wasn t aware of any problem with my discs as she hadn t read the first letter properly! Just told me stenosis was fact I knew more than her about it So what I need to know is 1 How do I get a full copy of radiographers MRI results 2 Any advice on foraminal treatments etc. I have been referred to pain clinic but this might take many months to come through and I cannot afford to go for treatment privately as I haven t been able to work since this happened and am well and truly on the breadline. 3 Any wisdom on what the mild to moderate degenerative spondylosis changes with associated narrowing of exit foramina is exactly? I think it is a disc bulge of some kind pressing on the foramen and not osteophytes but I could be really wrong. I really appreciate the kindness of anyone who gets back to me. I feel so alone with this. Putting up a really good fight not to succumb to depression with all this pain but occasionally the darkness gets through. Thank you again Sarah
Asked On : Mon, 17 Jan 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  285
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Hi Sarah..
I couldn't help responding to your submission. I am not a doctor...however I am a patient that has suffered with cervical myelopathy, stenosis, radiculoapthy etc.
I also have a brachial plexus injury along with a torn roatator cuff. I know the pain you are feeling - trust me. I can only share with you my experiences. The pain has kept me from working as well. It is quite frustrating...depressing...and gloomy. With that said, I did find pain relief with traction (manual and mechanical) at therapy. Also, I need to take Ibuprofen 800 mg and Vicodin 10 mg almost daily. The Ibuprofen helps me with the pain - while acting as an anti-inflammatory. The Vicodin is mainly for bedtime and helps with sleep sometimes.
As far as pain management, it would be ideal for you to find a Dr. who not only deals with pain management, but is a psychiatrist as well. Cymbalta was prescribed along with Amrix (muscle relaxant) and I find them helpful.
I don't know what state you are in....but there are always state or federally funded programs for those who cannot afford health care. Trust wife worked as a social worker and people need to utilize these programs or the state or county will lose their funding.
Now....the MRI'S...they are your films..period. You need to go to the facility and request the films (even if they put them on disc) and the reports. These are crucial pieces if medical documentation you will need for treatment from: therapy, specialists, pain management dr...etc. Demand them...threaten legal action if need be.
So bottom line, please seek help from your state or maybe even the department of Social Security. SSI will may be helpful....especially if you were (or intend to be) out of work for 12 months.
I know it's depressing...but you are not alone. I will check this post to see if you followed up.
Stay strong...
Answered: Wed, 9 Feb 2011
Homeopath Dr. KOMAL vig's  Response
dear sara.. homeopathic medicines will be of great help to you.. whatever may be the diagnosis homeopathic treatment believes in treating the body as a whole so dont worry about the mri results. u will be compleltely cured wit the help of homeoapthic medicine
consult a homeopath
god bless
Answered: Wed, 23 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor