Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

My patient suffered from epilepsy after stroke and her blood pressure rose during the epileptic attack. What treatment should be given ?

my patient got stroke 3 yrs back after stroke she developed epilepsy what can we do for that she take losartan pottassium 50mg ramipril 5mg for hypertension and also take anti platelet her blood pressure is normal now but during epilepsy her blood pressure rise upto 220 after stroke she developed left hemiparesis . her age is 51year. and epilepsy appear 1year after stroke. please give me a perfect solution......
Asked On : Thu, 19 May 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Udit, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
You haven't mentioned whether it was a Ischemic or Hemorrhagic Stroke? Because the chances of Epilepsy are more than 34% after Hemorrhagic stroke and more than 10% after ischemic stroke. Kindly do not worry as stroke related epilepsy can be successfully controlled with antiseizure medicines. The oldest and most commonly used medicines for this purpose are phenytoin and carbamazepine. The newer ones which have been added to this treatment include levetiracetam and lamotrigine .
See to it that she comes to you for regular follow up and she does not miss any dose even if seizure episodes are under good control. She needs to take her stroke medications regularly. She needs to get a adequate sleep for a minimum of 8 Hours daily if she has any abusing habits, she needs to stop it completely. Let her visit Physiotherapy sessions regularly and go for brisk walks. Counsel her attenders as well regarding her condition, that she needs to be taken good care of. Limiting salt intake with brisk walks will keep her blood pressure under control. If these measures are not helping, let her get examined by a Neurologist for further evaluation and get a CT scan of head done to rule out any Pathology. She should be eating soft bland diet with fresh fruits and green leafy veggies.

Good Luck.
Answered: Thu, 19 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor