My mother is 48 7 has thyroid & doctor suggested spinal decompression surgery. How effective is it ?

My mother is 48 yo, 5 4 , 87 kgs. She also has thyroid for which she is under Thyroxine. She is suffering from extreme lower back pain for the last 4-5 years which radiates to her limbs and she can t walk without stopping frequenly and pain increases on lying down. On MRI it was found that Harniation of disk at L4-L5. After traditional Yoga and physiotherapy without any improvement the doctor suggested Spinal Decompression Surgery. How effective is it ? What are the risks ? How much can be its approximate cost and where can this be done in India ? What if the surgery is not done , isn t there any non-intrusive way? Please help.
Mon, 13 Jun 2011