Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

135 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My moms blood sugar is 280, please suggest her

My moms blood Sugar is 280? She is diabetic and has COPD. She took some presednisone to open up my lungs. When it gets that high what should I do? Is there any way to lower it? Thanks, if you post a question I will add details to answer to update the info! My mom is not insulin dependent.
Mon, 9 Apr 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Deat patient,

If you mother is not insulin dependent, that means that she has Type 2 diabetes that mean that she is on another antidiabetic medication. 280 is a high sugar and if she is taking her medication then probably the dose needs to be adjusted to get better control over her blood sugar levels. It is advisable that you visit your doctor and he will decide further alteration of her medication. Also, she should be on a diabetic diet and I would advise regular exercise which will be of assistance in lowering her blood sugar levels. Other then that she should continue with her COPD treatment as advised by the doctor.

warm regards
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

Do not panic, you are trying to save your mom, in fact it is a warning situation than panicky one. You just have to keep her emotionally help her. Generally doctors recommend insulin during disease states and whent he bS crosses 350mg/dl.

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...My blood sugarbon 17 July 2011 fasting was 123 and pp was 113 and on 18 Sep 2011 my fasting was 160 and pp was 280 m I diabetic, if yes what went wrong in one month and what is the next course of action. I am 34 years old female.

doctor1 MD

i am 15 years old and yesterday i had to take a urine sample because my last blood work came back messed up or something and today after school my mom called me and told me that my blood pressure was dangerously high it was 282 how bad is this or is she just being a over protective mom normally after sports i get light headed and i play basketball football and baseball for my school but i haven t been feeling that great lately and i have been feeling pretty week am i coming down with something or is this because of my blood pressure

doctor1 MD

My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes on friday. He is going to meet with the diatician soon. But for now...his blood sugar is running around 217 fasting and around 280 after his meals. Should we just wait for next week or is this an emergency?

Recent questions on  Insulin

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, im very thankful for this online help. im diabetic taking tablets and insulin as medication. additionaly im hypothyroid also.i have severe constipation problem as well . im taking daily laxative also. in this suitation can i take mega neuron regularly?if u dnt mind to answer this question it will be very helpfull to me.thanks.

doctor1 MD

My wife aged 55 years is diognised with diabetic neuropathy very recently (one month approx). She is a diabetic patient for over a decade. Presently on insulin and tablets.
1. Is there a cure for this disease.
2. Request, please refer a Doctor where I can take her for further treatment.

doctor1 MD

I am a female 50 years old several times when I urinate there is blood on the toilet tissue. I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 26 years. i test my bllod sugars 6/7 times a day to determine how much insulin to take. There is no noticeable sign of the blood in my urine.

doctor1 MD

Can I reverse a possible chance that I have Typ 2 diebetties ?

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor my wife is 25 weeks pregnant. We recently got RBS GCT Test on empty stomach with 50mg glucose[1 hour after] for her. results are a follows: 190 mg/dl Please suggest the demerits of having this level and also advice methods to reduce the...

doctor1 MD

Getting high Blood Urine checks +++ fasting this morning. Positive all day yesterday. This has happened a couple of times in past 6 moths then stops for a while . No other symptoms, no thirst, I am overly tired and didnt want to get up this...