Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

My husband is emotionally abusive. What can I do?

I have recently become aware that my husband has been mentally abusing my kids and I for 12 years. I have been a stay at home mom during this time making it almost, next to impossible to get out quickly or at all for that matter. My 11 year old son has been displaying unusual behavior and has been feeling like, as he states, a ghost and the behavior began two months ago after I had to cave and let his dad move back in. He just told me about 4 days ago about the ghost like feeling. I know I need to get out but if Im not careful it could end up back firing on me in a form of mental retaliation. Should I take the kids to a shelter or would this only cause for irreversable damage? I have absolutely no means to support myself or my children if I leave and am unable to work due to Chronic Graft verses Host disease from a stem cell transplant for recurring hodgkins disease. I only make 600 a month on disabilty. I kicked my husband out for 11 months but let him back in because we couldnt survive. My other concern is my kids are active in sports at school and the nearest shelter is 45 minutes away. I would not be able to get them back and forth to school. I considered waiting until school gets out but with the recent discovery about my sons feelings it has me me deeply concerned. My children are already emotionally traumatized and unstable due to the fact I have had so many life threatening illneses and I am so afraid one wrong move could be catastophic. Please help I am so confused about making the best decision.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~ I suggest that you report this to your closest child protective services since there is cause for doing so and your resources seem to be limited. You will be able to get these services if you contact teh nearest shelter. I hope you do this as soon as you can.

I hope this helped. Take care.
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor