My heart sometimes skipping a beat. Does anyone know why ?

I notice that my heart sometimes skips a beat, and when the next one comes, it does it in a really hard way, and then continues as normal. It doesnt hurt at all, but I notice the difference when touching my chest . Does anyone know why ?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
's  Response
Irregular heartbeats are common and usually harmless. You're describing a preventricular contraction -- the skipped beat followed by the strong beat. This is probably the most common cardiac arrhythmia. There are a LOT of PVC triggers (anxiety, lack of sleep, too much caffeine) and most of them are easily remedied. Only a few are related to heart disease. You needn't see your doctor about it unless you begin to experience shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, dizziness and so forth.