Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

My heart rate has been over 300 BPM. doc suggest a cardiac ablation, is it right ?

I experience Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia . My heart rate has been over 300 BPM, which only stops when they give me a shot in an IV of adenosine. They say it can not kill me because it is atrial, and they always send me home the same day. It has happened 5x since I was 19 (I m pushing 31 now). They suggest a cardiac ablation, which can kill me. Are the docs right ? It doesn t seem possible that a heart can beat that fast for too long with out giving up on you.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  529
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  User's Response
At much over 180 beats per minute the heart chambers have a hard time getting enough time to fill with blood - so sure very fast rates can be dangerous no matter their source - atria or ventricle. Fortunately you have an otherwise young, healthy heart and it can withstand running it at full speed without too much apparent trouble; as evidenced by the fact that you have tolerated in the past. You can learn certain techniques to arrest PAT's. I think it would be worth your while to learn them. It may be worthwhile to consider medications as well - though admittedly they are not successful in every person. Regarding the ablation - you certainly seemed to discount that as too scary and too risky to investigate it. An electrophysiologist is a highly trained and capable cardiologist who is a specialist in these matters. It would very much be worth your while to discuss this matter with one of these specialists. He/she could do a procedure that last takes an hour and fixes the problem for life. Very good techniques are available that were not available ten years ago when your rhythms first started. With this type of ablation you will not require a pacemaker. Give it some thought. I hope this helps. Good luck. See the link below:
Answered: Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor