Owl Image

My daughter has High Blood Pressure at the age of 13

She Is Only 13 Does not have diabetes and is only 109lb. at 5`5..What could help bring it down? Besides baby aspirin
Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
This article will help you out: Treating High Blood Pressure If an underlying illness is causing hypertension, treating that illness may be enough to get the blood pressure back to normal levels. If there's no underlying illness, your child's doctor may recommend weight loss, increased intake of fruits and vegetables, decreased salt intake, increased exercise, and even relaxation techniques. Kids with hypertension should also quit or never start smoking, which can worsen the long-term associated heart problems. Most doctors prefer not to prescribe medication for children with mild hypertension. However, in cases in which lifestyle changes do not improve the condition, medications may be necessary. Exercise and participation in organized sports is encouraged for all patients whose hypertension is not severe or is well-controlled. In fact, staying fit is the key to both weight and blood pressure control. If your child is overweight, an ongoing weight-loss program monitored by your child's doctor and a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic exercise every day may be recommended. Kids who have severe hypertension should not, however, participate in weight- and power-lifting, bodybuilding, or strength training until their blood pressure is under control and a doctor OKs it. Although severe hypertension is rare in kids, even mild to moderate hypertension over time can cause damage to the heart, kidneys, and blood vessels. Identifying and treating high blood pressure in children will help prevent this damage before it occurs. The doctor has prescribed baby aspirin to keep the blood thin and to prevent any cardiac problem. It might be secondary to some other disease. Omega3 diet will help her e.g fish. Stop fat, salt, no more chocolates/sugars, red meat and regular physical. It will definitely bring her BP to normal.