My dad has just had a stroke, is this a normal short term thing ?

I am literally just got back from hospital and my dad has had a stroke. He is breathing normally and is in and out of concisiousnes but is appartently stable. I am obviously upset as is my mum but I dont know much about strokes and I am really worried that he couldnt remember my name or my mum's. is this a normal short term thing? Any advise would be appreciated as I have to be strong for my mum and want to be able to reassure her as best I can. Many thanks
Mon, 14 Dec 2009