Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

My cholesterol is over 7. How can i reduce this?

I'v just been told by my doctor that my cholesterol is over 7. How can i reduce this? I have a good diet . I eat maybe 1 fry up a week and have an occasional mc meal (once or twice a month). Other than that i drink red wine 3 bottles per week with food. I use olive oil. Please tell me what i should do?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  211
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Hi Mark If you total cholesterol was over 7mmol/l you are at increased risk of heart disease. 3 bottles of wine is around 21 to 28 standard drinks (or units) and is a little high - you should have your HDL checked as well as your LDL cholesterol too. I hope he did a Trig level also. While you can make some changes to your diet, this level should be treated with a cholesterol lowering drug such as a statin. Following a healthy diet and making some lifestyle changes may mean the dose you need is very small. There is unequivocal evidence that statins reduce the incidence of heart disease, but it's personal choice whether you chose to take one in the end. Dr P
Answered: Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor