Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

My cholesterol is 218. How can I lower it?

I am very healthy and exercise everyday (my bmi is 19). I take vitamins and Omega 3 s daily. I just had a physical and my cholesterol is 218. Everything else came back normal. What am I doing wrong? How can I lower it? Should I be concerned?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Mar 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  2113
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum.
Just exercising and not avoiding high fat diet will cause increase in cholesterol. Continue your exercises regularly and avoid high calorie foods. You may also take cholesterol lowering tablet like Atorlip-F for a month. Get yourself examined by a Physician. Take Care.
Answered: Fri, 18 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Namitha's  Response
Hi Kisaak,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum. You are doing the right thing, continue exercising for atleast 30 min per day.Cut down on red meats and fried foods. Consume lean meat and fish. Try and intake a lot of soluble fiber.Soluble fiber which is found in bran products, oatmeal, beans, prunes, berries. Have nuts, discontinue smoking and avoid alcohol. Take care
Answered: Fri, 18 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Kindly lemme know about ur age too as it's gonna help me immensely in helping you. First of all, congrats in taking care of ur health which is shown in ur bmi n ur diet. Secondly, i wud let u knw tht ur total cholesterol levels is only borderline high and if u disclose the full cholesterol values(like LDL,HDL,VLDL), then i can tell about ur risks of heart disease further.
But at this moment, i reckon that u just need to eat more fibre(like salads, cereals, pulses) and decrease ur saturated fat intake(like ghee, butter) then a good result can be seen in the next 4-6 weeks. take care
Answered: Fri, 18 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor