Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

My brother is severely depressed but he is treated as a mental patient

dear doctor i am really upset .my brother aged 23 is a mental patient and is undergoing treatment for 6 long years without any improvement.....instead his condition is getting worst.he was otherwise a normal person but wrong treatment has made him worst so much so that he is suffering a lot now....earlier he only got depressed but now he hurts him,throws tantrums,once he even bite my mom when he got angry...he is not eating anything and is hurting himself....he has even got a tendency to commit suicide ....we went to Ranchi and Vellore but they said that he is not a mental patient but a patient of severe depression .....please help!
Asked On : Mon, 19 Jul 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  219
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Saswati,

From the symptoms you have given, it appears that he may have something called as "Personality disorder" in addition to his mood/depression problems. This kind of problem needs long term treatment and family members will be an important part of this treatment.

NIMHANS in Bangalore, Institute of Psychiatry ranchi, CMC vellore.....are few names that jump to my mind which can handle this kind of problem effectively. As I said this will need lot of assessment and therapy is long. Please ask for a "Personality disorder specialist" to assess him.

With regards to admission, it will be only needed when the risk to himself or others is very immediate or very great otherwise, we always like to manage these kind of problems in their own sorroundings.

Management will include medication but psychological/talking therapies play the biggest part and most lasting effects.

Bottomline, please get someone more experienced in personality disorders to assess him.

Good Luck to both of you
Answered: Tue, 11 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
You need to go to the hospital he has to be put in a stabilization unit so that he can be monitored all day every day this is not uncommon everybody is diffrent and mess don't always work the same on everybody there millions of diffrent meds and he just needs monitored in a close and secure setting
See if there is a agency called can help if you have one around you they will set everything up for you if not he definitely needs to go to the er and tell them he has sucidal and homicidal tendencies and you need help now before he kills himself or hurts others they will deffinitley get you help for him
Answered: Sat, 8 Jan 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor