Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

My Baby is having g6pd deficiency, please advise me how to take care ?

hi..dr..i have a 1/6 mnth old baby boy.he is having a g6pd deficiency and he also b(-)bld we are always worried about his health.dr..plz adviced me how to take care his self..pallavee bhagawati
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jun 2010
Answers:  3 Views:  1093
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Pallavee,
Welcome to HCM.
Most important is to take precautions to avoid conditions or medications which might trigger hemolysis. Vaccination against Hepatitis must be taken.
Give him healthy balanced diet with fruits and vegetables included. Folic acid is also beneficial.
In severe cases of G6PD deficiency, splenectomy may be helpful as it is the site of red blood cell destruction.
When actual hemolysis occurs, blood transfusion with fresh blood will be required. If renal failure is there then dialysis will also be needed.
Wishing your child all the best.
Answered: Mon, 24 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.Welcome.G6PD deficiency is the commonest RBC enzyme defect and typically affects men.Most cases are asymptomatic but are susceptible to oxidative stress and precipitated by many drugs like primaquin,sulfonamides.aspirin etc or illness.During an attack there is rapid anemia and jaundice.You should avoid precipitants and transfusion is done if problem gets severe.Good luck.
Answered: Mon, 24 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
hi Dr. my wife had G6PD deficiency and my two children 24 years and 21 years old boys also.
is there any alternative treatment to increase their hemoglobin and size of rbc
Answered: Sat, 2 Oct 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor