Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Movable lump on knee cap, sore to touch, redness, swelling. Wearing knee brace helps. Permanent cure?

for the past year I have had a tiny lump on my left kneecap, on top on the inner side. It moves if I put my finger on it but is sore to touch. if I stand for too long my knee cap turns red and becomes swollen. if I walk around to go shopping for a couple hours my whole knee starts to hurt. lately my knee hurts when I try to workout and is sore most of the time. if I wear a brace my knee feels better.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  125
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hi there.
A lump over knee cap for such a long period is a matter of concern.
This most probably is a bursitis., meaning inflammation of the bursa around the knee cap.
The redness and pain that you are experiencing might be due to infection that has occurred in the already inflammed bursa.
Treatment is :
Get it aspirated and send the aspirate for pus culture and sensitivity test.
Get it properly drained and removed surgically and start antibiotic according to the culture report.
Good luck.
Answered: Wed, 1 Jan 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor