Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Mother speaking to herself, negative thoughts and sleeplessness. Started after dad died. Advice?

Hello doctor,

This is a concern regarding my mom, whose mental health has become poor due to sort of negative thoughts after a year ago death of my dad. She is 51 years of age. I can seen her speaking to herself, hitting her head with her hands as something disturbing her brain, and lack of sleep. When asked, she is not expressing it in detail as she feels they are very bad evil thoughts and does not want to disturb us. She is restless even when lying down or sometimes at sleep. Please suggest me on what to do to relieve her from this state and make her happy.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
The symptoms corresponds to Post Grief Psychological Disorder.
But it hadn't subsided for more than a year.
Then it is a concern.
Self talk, hitting head and lack of sleep - Note the frequency of these symptoms.
Get to a psychiatrist with these details.
Because this illness should not develop into psychoses.
Wish her speedy recovery.
Answered: Sat, 4 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

She is having complaints of self talking or muttering, abnormal behavior, poor sociality and poor expression. She is having negative thoughts and also hitting her head. She remains restless also. These type of symptoms may occur due to following possibilities.

- It may be a prolonged grief reaction resulting in depression. She might be in depression with psychotic symptoms. These symptoms may occur in elderly and can cause significant dysfunction.

- It may be due to any psychosis. Psychosis may also manifest as abnormal behavior and muttering.

I would recommend you to provide her warm supportive care and don't leave her alone at any time. Take her to a psychiatrist for proper evaluation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor