Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Mother is not able to talk and eat the food properly

Hi My mother is facing some strange problems. She is not able to talk properly and She is not able to eat the food properly. She can eat rice cooked with excessive water. But she can not intake water or any liquid food. 80% of the water what she tries to drink comes out of her mouth. We consulted the doctors in Nimhas, Bangalore. They are not able to diagnose what happened to her. Please help me.
Asked On : Tue, 1 Feb 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  146
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi. Welcome to Healthcaremagic

Swallowing difficulties can be neurological problems-comes from previous stroke(called Psedo Bulbar plasy). Does she had stroke any time before? Modified Barium Swallow studies under the vision of radiologist and speech therapist will diagnose this problem. She also needs MRI of the brain to confirm the previous strokes. Treatment depends consultation with speech therapist.

If the diagnosis is not PseudoBulbar palsy, I mean not related to neurological problem, it could be from esophagus. Then treatment is surgical.

It totally depends on diagnosis. You better pursue the diagnoosis with Nimhas, Bangalore

Regards, Dr. Jagdish
Answered: Tue, 1 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Thank you Sir,

I was told by the doctor that she had tongue paralysis.
We have been consulting the doctor from last one year. But nowadays, she is not able to drink water and she is hardly able to speak. It is becoming extremely difficult for a word from her mouth.She is emotionally down and she has become moody nowadays. She is not responding to the treatments properly.

Is there any expert neurologist that we can consult and get the help from..?

Answered: Tue, 1 Feb 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor