Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Mother having mental problems. Talks loud, behaves weirdly, does not recognize anybody. Does not want medicines. Suggestions?

I have problems communicating with my mom. She is getting worse. She talks out loud and says shes talking to other people. My sister sent her a Christmas card with her picture in it. She threw out and said it wasnt my sister and she was dead. She says weird things, talks out loud in the middle of the night. Help! She wont see a doctor and wont take meds. She thinks that i m not me or thinks theres four of me.... any suggestions
Asked On : Tue, 11 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dear Shelliszek!
Hello. I understand what you are going through. Its difficult sometimes to handle people with mental illness. By the description you have given, its quite obvious that your mother is suffering from serious mental illness probably psychosis. However you failed to mention her age and since when she is having these symptoms. Most of the countries have laws pertaining to in-voluntary treatment of people with mental illness. May be you can contact your police or a local psychiatrist who can guide you regarding the local legal matters and procedure for forced hospitalization. Such patients can harm others or some times themselves. Until you take some help, you be careful with her and take care of her properly.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. I can understand your concern for your mother. It appears that your mother is hearing voices that you do not- what is called as "auditory hallucinations". It is a symptom of psychotic disorders. It can be troublesome to get your mother to the psychiatrist. However, you can try convincing her to come to hospital citing some problem of yours or for sleep disturbance/ aches&pains that your mother may complain of. Try out these suggestions.
Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor