Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Mitral valve insufficiency

What is done to correct moderate to severe mitral valve insufficiency ?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  352
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
It depends on the patient and the condition - whether the valve is stenotic (not opening fully) or incompetent (not closing fully). Initially the doctors will work with medication to mitigate the symptoms. If this is successful, the patient will be placed on longterm drug therapy. This will not fix the problem, but it may make it liveable. If medication is not effective on its own, then surgery becomes necessary to replace the diseased valve. The replacement options are either tissue (made from porcine or bovine tissue) which will last for about 15 years and then need to be replaced again, or mechanical, steel and titanium which last for a lifetime, but carry a 1-2% chance per year of stroke or leakage and require anticoagulant (blood thinner) therapy for the rest of the patient's lifespan. If this is for your own health or that of a loved one, best of luck.
Answered: Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor